Communications and Community Engagement

2020 Graduation Ceremonies Get Big ‘Thumbs Up’ from Graduates, Families
Published by Angel Hoggard on June 22, 2020
.........................................................................................................................................
News Release
Topic: 2020 Graduation Ceremonies Get Big ‘Thumbs Up’ from Graduates, Families

News Release
Renarta C. Moyd
Chief Communications Officer
Communications & Community Engagement
Email: renartac@ccs.k12.nc.us
Phone: 910-678-2307
Fax: 910-678-2619

Schools personalized the graduation experience

Fayetteville, NC – It’s official. In spite of the COVID-19 pandemic, Cumberland County Schools has watched more than 3,500 of its high school seniors proudly ‘walk across the stage’ to receive their diplomas as their families cheered them on and captured the moment.

From Friday, June 12 through Friday, June 19, the staff at all 16 CCS high schools have worked tirelessly to make this year’s graduation experience one that will be cherished and always remembered by the graduates.

“I was actually surprised,” said Sampson Edwards, a recent graduate of Jack Britt High School. “It was really nice to see all that was done for us. I was especially happy to see my friends, teachers, staff and administrators all along the way cheering me on.”

Because of COVID-19 restrictions, each student was allowed to invite four guests to witness them ‘crossing the stage.’ One parent describes this year’s graduation experience as phenomenal.

“I felt the ceremony was wonderful!” said Shuanette Gaddy, the parent of Pine Forest High School graduate Alicia Hawkins. “As we walked into the building, I felt like it was truly a celebration. Everything was decorated beautifully and spirits were high. But, the most important thing was that my child was allowed ‘to walk across that stage.’ As a parent, it allowed me to capture her moment in a special way. My child really enjoyed it and we thank Cumberland County Schools and Pine Forest High for this opportunity. I truly wish every future graduation could be this way.”

Dr. Melinda Vickers, the district’s graduation coordinator and a director of School Support, said that she has gotten a great deal of positive feedback about the ceremonies and what schools have done to make them special.

“Everyone has commented on how personal each ceremony has been and the kids truly seemed to have appreciated it,” said Dr. Vickers. “Our 16 high schools did an amazing job organizing and personalizing this unprecedented graduation event.”

Click on the following link to see numerous pics of Cumberland County Schools’ history-making ceremonies taken throughout the week:

Snapshots of Cumberland County Schools’ 2020 Graduation Ceremonies.

###

Cumberland County Schools
2465 Gillespie Street • Fayetteville, NC 28306
910.678.2300

© 2019 Cumberland County Schools
Send questions or comments to

CCS Web Manager

Website Accessibility
I Accesibilidad a las Pбginas Web
| Copyright/Privacy Notices and Disclaimers | Derecho de Propiedad Literaria/Avisos Privados y Renuncias | Non-Discrimination Policy and Grievances